Tuesday, August 26, 2008

when someone you love is far from your sight, what would you do?



this is my grandpa.
I love my grandpa.
when i was lil gal, whenever my gramps come visit to my house, he would bring his youngest daughter and I to have a walk around my town, by feet.
it is more enjoyable to walk on feet on that time, he said.
we also seldom get lost in my own town, but it's fun to lost in my own place. ( well, it's me the tour guide, the 5 year old me, what do u expect?)

how many years it take, to be able to notice that my grandpa is changing.
since i studied in boarding school for more than 4 years, i rarely went to village to meet my gramps.
lets see, in a year, mybe 4-5 times? then, until last year i was informed, that my grandpa actually suffered from Alzheimer.

although it's still on early stage, but for me, it's like the end for me.
he suffer from loss of memory ( he says my house is somewhat different from the last time he came to our house, but the truth is, my house had done nothing to it's structure, at the very least, what's changing is the wall's colour) ,unable to control his muscle on his own accord, have poor insights ( he did suffer from cataracts, but, his insights indeed poor, like, unable to distinguish distance) ,personality changes ( he is way too quiet than he used to be, but he did talk if he need to).

but, lucky me, he still remember me ( maybe, my style of clothes, the way i talk and my hairstyle still the same, so he recognise me).
and he also seems to know that i will be away for 6 years. but on recent occasion ( my aunt's wed),he takes time to recognise that the beau(?) in front of him is me, his grandaughter. 
what will happen in next 6 years???
i dont know.
but, what did i know, the last stage for alzheimer patient is, bedridden, uncomprehending and mute.
i would say i'm quite afraid though, thinking the way it's coming.

the last 2 days, my gramps visit us. today, my aunt will take them home as my aunt just return from their honeymoon in tioman island. ( hey, my place is quite near with tioman island, mind to come over?)
and now my grandpa is sleeping peacefully in the bedroom like he usually do. and my mum and my mum's mum ( basically it's my grandma) are busy at the kitchen preparing lunch, while busy gossiping.
And I, busy stumbling and posting for the blog, while at the same time busy babysitting for my 8 yr old sis who is having fever ( yeah, like hell i would like to babysitting for her! )

one thing i realised, when i know my gramps having this disease, is i could no longer able to meet his eye anymore. why?
it must hurt him knowing how my attitude towards him.
it hurts me too.

No comments: